London Stone Conservation is a company of master craftspeople
We provide the following specialist services
the conservation, repair and replacement of carving and masonry on historic and contemporary buildings
the conservation and repair of stone sculptures
the manufacturing of new sculptural commissions in stone
traditional hand-carved lettering
London makes us who we are: its historic built environment; its innovative energy; its challenging and rewarding opportunities to work with those who also aspire to excellence in their own fields. MORE
The incipient core of LSC hails from City & Guilds of London Art School's Stone Carving and Conservation Departments at the turn of the millennium, where a widely diverse group of people came to finish their formal training. Strong bonds were made, both of place and fellowship.
This informal association was united into a limited company by Florian Kirchertz in 2003. Its international temperament continues to attract those of talent who wish to make their life in this city.
Its ethos remains a constant:
• The preservation and enrichment of our shared historical built environment of London
• The maintenance of an intimate and equally contested relationship between the practical and academic aspects of stone conservation
• Traditional skills are inseparable from the tradition of dignity in their execution
• The renewal of innovation must be equally welcomed and met with responsibility
• Good communication as the key to good praxis, both internally and externally
• Taking a project further than a straight conservation remit, wherever practically and ethically possible, in order to provide an aesthetically satisfying end
The craftspeople of London stone conservation are trained in the production, installation and use of stone for a diverse range of architectural applications.MORE
We specialise in both the reproduction of elements for the replacement of carving for conservation purposes and the manufacture of new pieces for contemporary architectural projects.
Our commitment to stone and its architectures:
• A core of highly motivated specialists. An extensive professional network of international artisan craftspeople of exceptional merit and wide-ranging expertise. We are both.
• The highest technical skill in the tradition of stonework, at once ancient and living, of disciplined masonry and inspired sculptural carving. We have both.
• Carved stone as cultural object/fabric within an art historical context.
Carved stone as material geology within the built environment: we understand both.
The ethical and practical solutions to the conservation and restoration of architecture and stone objects are constantly shifting.
Individual need, practical constraints, general cultural/historical/aesthetic considerations and technological innovation interact in such a way that each project possesses a unique nature. MORE
London Stone Conservation offers a unique service accordingly, wherein communication and contact with clients throughout the project is paramount.
As carvers, masons and conservators of stone, we bring together historical and theoretical sensitivities with practical know-how; new innovative technology with the finest of traditional practice.
We constantly monitor the academic, scientific and practical discourses in the conservation field.
We review our own practices regularly and responsively.
We expect to work to the highest possible standard.
Director Florian Kirchertz
Public Liability at £5,000,000 and Employers Liability Insurance at £10,000,000
ISO 9001 Registered Firm since 2009,
Reg. No: GB17453
Corporate Member of the
Guild of Master Craftsmen
Winner of the Bromley Council Built Heritage Award